General Description of who we are and services we offer Use Our Gold Service Quotation Handy Forms and Links REALTORS WANTED! Receive referrals and assist our Clients with their transactions! Contact Us default page site map
Buyers` Legal Basics First-Time Buyers Newly Built Homes Mortgage Basics Condominium Buyers Sellers' Legal Basics
Use Our Gold Service Quotation
Land Transfer Tax Calculator
Free Parking
Free Status Review
Free Agreement Review
Free Power of Attorney
Free Will Review
Electronic Registrations
Automatic Title Insurance
Evening & Weekend

  Family Law
  Business Law

Other Legal Services


Required Insurance

Your mortgage lender will require you to obtain an insurance policy that covers the new home you are purchasing against damages resulting from fire and extended perils.  The amount of the coverage should be at least the amount of the mortgage, although consider obtaining more.  In any event, mortgage lenders will insist that you are covered for the full replacement value of the dwelling and that the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s standard mortgage clause be included in the policy.  In addition, the mortgage lender’s name and address should appear on the insurance policy.  Even if you are not arranging a mortgage, it is best to have fire insurance to protect yourself financially against such a tragedy.  Your policy should be effective as of the closing date, and a policy binder letter (proof of the policy) must be sent to your lawyer before mortgage funds can be used.

Details Insurer Needs

Your insurance company or broker will need details from you about the square footage of the house, proximity of fire hydrants, and other related information.  The Multiple Listing Service specifications sheet may not contain all this information.  Consider obtaining these details from the vendor when viewing the home, or ask your real estate agent if they can get this information for you. 

Condominium Insurance

If you are buying a condominium unit, insurance for the building coverage will usually be included in your monthly common expenses.  However, whether you are buying a condo or a house, consider arranging for contents, liability, and/or comprehensive insurance so that you will have some coverage for certain losses of personal belongings or in case someone has an accident on your property.

Please contact us if you would like a referral to an insurance broker or company.


previous | next | print article

| February 23, 2004 |
CMHC Makes Finding Down Payments Much Easier
As of March 1, 2004, home buyers will have a wider choice in what they can use for a down payment. [more...]

| February 1, 2004 | Moves to Larger Offices
As of February 1, 2004, has moved to new and larger offices to meet the growing needs of our clients. [more...]

| November 15, 2003 |
Housing Starts Up Again
The seasonally adjusted rate of housing starts rose in October 2003 to the second highest monthly level in 12 years, as reported by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (“CMHC”). [more...]

| read our archive |

keep you up to date
about our new articles, events, special offers and discounts. Subscribe now!



    Profile | Free Quote | Handy Forms & Links | For Relators | Contact Us    
Buyers' Legal Basics | First-time Buyers | Newly Built Houses | Mortgage Basics | Condominium Buyers | Sellers' Legal Basics

© 2014
a division of DoAble Solutions Inc. and an affiliate of Zeidman Law Offices
By viewing pages on this site, you agree to our terms of use